In Turkey, postal administration and certain express cargo operators (air and land carriers which fulfill some preset conditions) were authorized for the clearance of expedited shipments by the Turkish Customs Administration.
Turkish Postal Services (PTT) and authorized express cargo operators can carry out all customs clearance procedures of the following categories of goods including submission of customs declaration;
- Category 1 : Documents,
- Category 2 : Samples, models and goods for research, analysis or testing,
- Category 3 : Books and printed publications brought by public institutions, libraries and museums.
- Category 4 : Passenger goods (brought one month before or three months after the arrival of the passenger)
- Category 5 : Books and printed publications brought by real persons worth up to 150 euro,
- Category 6 : Books and printed publications brought by real persons worth between 150 - 1500 euro,
- Category 7 : Import goods of a non-commercial nature worth up to 22 euro, (If the buyer is a legal entity)
- Category 8 : Import goods of a non-commercial nature worth up to 1500 euro, weight up to 30 kg. (If the buyer is a real person)
- Category 9 : Export goods worth up to 15000 euro, weight up to 300 kg.
As for taxation,
Category 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 goods are exempt from all customs duties as well as V.A.T.
Category 6 goods are subject to a fixed rate duty (0%)
Category 7 and 8 goods are subject to a fixed rate duty based on customs value of 18% for goods originating and departing from an EU member state, and 30% for all other goods. In addition to the fixed rate duty, if the goods are stated in the 4 th annex of the Special Consumption Tax Law, an additional %20 percent duty will be collected. And if the item is subject to the TRT banderol, the amount stated in the list by TRT will be added to the total tax.
On the other hand, delivery through mail or expedited shipment of certain goods such as cosmetics, mobile phones, alcohol, tobacco products, animal products and medicines without prescriptions are prohibited under this authorisation.
All other uncategorised goods carried by air/land carriers (whether authorised or not) are subject to normal customs procedures for the import and export.